This article includes a step-by-step appointment guide for scanning for a crown.
Crown Case Workflow
The following workflow is applicable for patients receiving a crown.
Crown Workflow Details
√ Choose the "Fixed Restorations" option when you go to set up your case.
- Within "Fixed Restorations," select "Crown."
√ You will then be prompted to select the tooth/teeth that will receive a crown.
√ Select the desired material and shade from the subsequent menus.
√ Follow the scanning sequence: Lower Arch > Upper Arch > Bite > Prep Scan > Review Scan > Submit Order
- You have the option to skip a pre-prep scan of the tooth/teeth by selecting the "Skip pre-prep" button. This option is available on the menu preceding your scan of the given prep arch (i.e. if the crown is on the lower arch, this button must be selected prior to scanning the lower arch).
√ When prompted, mark the tooth that is being prepped.
√ Be sure that your scan of the crown prep captures a fully visible margin and both proximal contacts of the adjacent teeth.
TIP: When beginning your scan of the crown prep, turn on the scanner over the occlusal surface of an adjacent tooth first, and then move the scanner over to the crown prep slowly.
√ Confirm your occlusal reduction on the "Review Scans" menu.
√ Place your order.
- Additional photos are welcome but not required.
Additional best practices:
- Please scan both full arches to completion.
- Turn off any overhead dental lighting and loupes lights while scanning.
- Retraction of cheeks, lips, and tongue, especially in posterior cases, is essential
- Always turn on your scanner over the occlusal surface of a molar/premolar when beginning a scan.
- Hold your scanner close (nearly touching) the teeth you are scanning, as the scanner is distance-sensitive.