The following implant supported locator overdenture workflow applies to patients with no existing dentition or appliance (partial or full denture) to establish their VDO and/or bite and requires a chairside pickup.
Clinical Use Cases
- The patient lost or broke their Implant Supported Overdenture and cannot establish VDO.
- Immediate-load of an Implant Supported Overdenture post-surgery.
If your patient's treatment plan requires extraction of existing dentition and implant placement, please follow our Implant Supported Overdenture with Extractions & Surgery Workflow article.
- Select the arch(es) that need a full denture to be fabricated. On the scanner order form, select: “Removables” > “Full Dentures” > “Printed/Milled.”
- If facing difficulty scanning (in particular, an edentulous lower arch), doctors may take a standard impression and scan either the impression or the model.
- After receiving the wax bite rim from Dandy, guide the wax bite rim into the patient’s mouth to get an accurate bite impression.
- Apply light body wash to the wax bite rim for border molding and accuracy.
- Clearly mark the wax bite rim with the patient’s smile lines, canine lines, and midlines.
- Add blue mousse to register bite.
- Take photos of the patient [highly recommended]:
- Head on photo with the patient smiling naturally (with wax bite rim in place).
- 2 profile pictures (1 from each side) with the patient smiling naturally (with wax bite rim in place).
- [If possible] A head on photo of the patient with cheek retractors in place (with wax bite rim in place).
- Select the arch(es) that need a full denture to be fabricated. On the scanner order form select “Removables” > “Full Dentures” > “Printed/Milled.”
- When scanning arch(es) with wax bite rim(s) select “Denture” from pop-up.
- Perform 360 extraoral scan of the wax bite rim(s).
- To obtain bite registration:
- If single arch wax bite rim, scan with wax bite rim in mouth (from molar to midline) with blue mousse.
- If dual arch wax bite rim(s), scan both arches in occlusion outside of mouth (full arch from molar to molar) with blue mousse.
Chairside Pickup Setup
- Remove implant healing caps and place locator abutments; Verify abutments are above the tissue.
- Apply blockout spacers to abutments.
- Seat denture housings with black nylons onto each abutment to confirm passive fit of the prosthesis over the housing.
- Verify reliefs by test fitting denture (using pip paste and a bur, reduce material if needed).
- Check the occlusion against the opposing arch.
- Dry and clean denture thoroughly before adding material for chairside pickup to ensure material bonds properly.
- Place chairside auto-polymerizing material inside denture reliefs.
- Guide denture in mouth, being sure to seat the denture all the way down. Have patient close into bite.
- Remove once auto-polymerization is complete (follow manufacturer’s instructions).
- If there are voids around the abutments, place additional material carefully so as not to get any inside the abutments.
- Using a carbide bur, clean up any excess material on the intaglio and/or lingual areas. √ Polish as needed for a smooth finish.