This article includes a step-by-step appointment guide for scanning for sleep apnea appliances.
Sleep Apnea Appliance Case Workflow
The following workflow is applicable for patients receiving a sleep apnea appliance.
Sleep Apnea Appliance workflow details
√ Choose the "Sleep & Accessories" option when you go to set up your case.
- Within "Sleep & Accessories" select "Sleep Apnea".
- Choose your specific Sleep Apnea Device from the options on the screen
√ You will then be prompted to select the arch or arches for which the retainer(s) will be made.
√ Follow the scanning sequence: Lower Arch > Upper Arch > Protrusive Bite > Review Scans > Submit order
Tips for Protrusive Bite Scan:
- Use a protrusive bite registration prop to set the therapeutic bite.
- Leave 3-5 mm between the patient's arches.
- Keep the bite stable between the scans.
- If you don't have a bite gauge, use a firm red wax or piece of plastic that will keep the bite steady.
√ Review your scans in the "Review Scans" menu.
√ Place your order.
Additional best practices:
- Please scan both full arches to completion.
- Turn off any overhead dental lighting and loupes lights while scanning.
- Retraction of cheeks, lips, and tongue is essential.
- Always turn on your scanner over the occlusal surface of a molar/premolar when beginning a scan.
• • •
Want to download and print the PDF above for your office?
Download the attached PDF at the bottom of this article!