This article includes a step-by-step appointment guide for scanning for a retainer.
Retainer Case Workflow
The following workflow is applicable for patients receiving a retainer.
Retainer Workflow Details
√ Choose the "Ortho" option when you go to set up your case.
- Within "Ortho" select "Retainer".
√ You will then be prompted to select the arch or arches for which the retainer(s) will be made.
√ Follow the scanning sequence: Lower Arch > Upper Arch > Bite > Submit order
TIP: Be sure to capture every aspect of the arch(es) receiving the retainer(s). An accurate scan allows us to fabricate accurate retainers. It is crucial that the distal surfaces of the posterior-most teeth are completely captured.
√ Proceed to the "Ordering" menu.
√ Select the material/type of the retainer.
- You will specify whether this retainer is an Essix, Hawley, or Lingual Fixed Retainer on this menu.
√ Place your order.
Additional best practices:
- Please scan both full arches to completion.
- Turn off any overhead dental lighting and loupes lights while scanning.
- Retraction of cheeks, lips, and tongue is essential.
- Always turn on your scanner over the occlusal surface of a molar/premolar when beginning a scan.
• • •
Want to download and print the PDF above for your office?
Download the attached PDF at the bottom of this article!