This article contains an overview and video instructions for using the Margin Tracing Tool. The Margin Tracing Tool allows you to trace the margin of a crown-prepped tooth. The tool is completely optional for submitting scans, but is especially useful when your margin is deeply subgingival and/or you are struggling to control the bleeding and fully retract the gingiva for a clear scan.
Instructions for use:
- Navigate to the Review Scan menu after completing all required scans.
- Select the Margin button.
- Left-click and hold in the surrounding gray space to rotate and re-orient the scan for better visualization of the margin and prep. Do not click on the scan itself when attempting to rotate.
- Click your mouse with the cursor positioned at any point you wish to begin your margin trace. This establishes your first tracing point.
- Continue click along the margin, following the prep's circumference.
- Ensure the final tracing point connects to the first tracing point, closing the loop around the margin.
- If needed, adjust the shape of the traced margin. Click and hold any of the tracing points, dragging them to set them into a new position. This will adjust the overall shape of your trace.
- When finished, select the Margin button again.
- To re-access the margin trace, re-select the Margin button.
- The Reset button resets your entire trace, starting the process over from scratch.
- Click the button or press the R or C keys on your keyboard to use.
- The Undo button backtracks one step/click in the tracing process.
- Click the button of press the Z key on your keyboard to use.
• • •
Want to learn about other tools?